How to Install a Bathtub
If you’re reading this, it’s only safe to assume that it’s time to finally install a new bathtub. Whether it be a replacement of an existing tub or an entirely updated luxury bathroom addition, installing a bathtub can seem like a daunting task. It is crucial to note that you must follow all steps listed on the instructions that came with your new tub regardless of what is written below, since all bathtubs are different. With that out of the way, let’s get started on the basic steps for how to install a bathtub.
What You Will Need
This is not an entirely comprehensive list as your manufacturer’s instructions may call for a certain tool that’s not included here. All tools and supplies can be found at your local hardware store.
- Allen Wrench
- Wood Shims
- Coated Exterior Construction Screws
Installing the Tub
- Turn Off the Water – Before starting anything in your bathroom, you will want to make sure the water supply is completely shut off through the main line. If needed, you can then drain any extra water through the faucet by turning it on.
- Take Out the Old Bathtub – In the case that you are replacing your tub, you will want to remove your old bathtub to make room for the new one.
- Prepare Your Floor for the New Tub – You will need a leveled surface to install your new tub. During this step, you should check to see if there is any leveling or patching that needs to be done and if there is, go ahead and complete that.
- Measure Out the Walls to Prep for the Tub – Measure out the width of the wall where you are planning on placing your tub. Then, you will want to cut out a 2×4 in order to fit the back wall to prevent the tub from moving around. Follow your manufacturer’s instructions to see where the stinger board will need to be installed and then proceed with drilling the construction screws through the stinger board and into the wall studs.
- Hook Up the Drain Plumbing – This part is pretty straightforward depending on how much access you have to your plumbing. Make sure to hire a plumber for this work if you need professional help.
- Secure the Tub and Framing Together – All information for this step will be in your manufacturer’s instructions. Attach the tub to the necessary studs and then place a level on the edge of the tub to make sure everything is leveled. Then add shims where needed and drill through the flange and shims to secure it to the studs.
Looking for Someone to Install Your Bathtub for You Instead?
As you can see, installing a new bathtub can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Perhaps you don’t have the time to install a bathtub or maybe you don’t have the proper tools handy, and that’s quite all right. At BathWraps, we are expert bathtub installers and would be thrilled to assist you with your bathtub installation project. Not only do we offer you top-of-the-line products that are easily customizable to suit all your luxury bathing needs, but can we complete the tub installation in as quick as a day. Contact us to find out more about how we can get started on your new bathtub installation today.